BA in English Literature (2i)
Diploma in Occupational Therapy
MA in Creative Writing (Distinction)
Publishing Training Centre: Proofreading by Distance Learning (Merit)
A levels in English, Maths and Biology
Recent freelance copy-editing and proofreading work includes:
- Educational materials for primary level educationOnline medical resource (USA): programs on Hematology, Rheumatology, Anesthetics, and drugs.
- Reports for national charities (substantive editing and basic copy-editing)
- Articles for academic journals
- Keynote speeches and editorials for a university lecturer
- Report for an ecological survey company
- Non-fiction book to accompany an art exhibition
- Editing fiction (short stories and novels)
- Editing translated material to ensure correct english language and grammar.
Previously I have written press releases and other marketing information for an event organised by a local business networking group, and worked for training and event management companies, writing website content and editing existing web content. I have copy-edited substantial policy documents for a travel advice company and for the public sector. I have edited fiction for individual authors, and worked on personal statements and CVs for private individuals.
Previous work experience
Before becoming a freelance writer and editor in 2010, I worked as a senior manager in health and social services for 13 years. Before that I worked for 9 years as an Occupational Therapist, in both health and social services.
My main focus has been service review and transformation, change management, performance management, and the planning and commissioning of social and health care services.
I have had significant experience of writing, copy-editing, project-editing and proofreading in all these roles, producing a wide range of publications and corporate documents. For example:
- Public and Third Sector publications, plans and strategies
- Business Plans and Funding Bids
- Tender Documents
- Questionnaires and consultation documents
- Policy and procedure documents and staff guidance
- Training materials
- Magazine or journal articles
- Newsletters, brochures and leaflets
- CVs, job application forms, personal statements
(A full list of my previous work roles with dates and employers is available if required)